VP, Back Office Technology (Power BI / Dashboard Developer)
Chicago, IL 60606
VP, Back Office Technology (Power BI / Dashboard Developer)
- client is looking for a skilled Power BI Report and Dashboard Developer for the Back Office Technology Team dedicated to the design and development of robust data analytic dashboards and reports across a broad spectrum of back office functions. The successful candidate must have demonstrated prior experience working in a data intensive environment, delivering robust and innovative reporting solutions to end users. The candidate must be able to gain a deep understanding of the relevant enterprise data models, operational systems and enterprise data warehouse to help design and deliver impactful, strategic analytic and reporting technology solutions to enhance key business processes. This hands-on role requires critical thinking, strong client focus, strong technical skills and the ability to execute and deliver.
The ideal candidate must be able to perform the following:
- Expert in Power BI, Power BI modeling and Power BI Paginated reports. Stays abreast of rapid developments in these technologies. Independently execute complex data analysis across multiple platforms using Excel, Power BI, Power BI Paginated or other available tools. Strong data analytics skills to troubleshoot data issues.
- Utilize reporting tools to design and deliver dashboards and reports to stakeholders using an agile-like methodology for increased stakeholder engagement and faster time to market
- Expert in developing SQL scripts to validate financial and statistical measures presented in Power BI and Power BI Paginated reports. Understand and apply the enterprise vision and strategy to the project solution while balancing tactical needs to deliver.
- Develop detailed requirements documentation including user stories, use cases, design specifications, business process, data flows and acceptance criteria. Accountable for deliverables by understanding and balancing the competing demands for project scope, time and quality. Ensure that all delivered solutions meet the highest quality standards and satisfy all specified business requirements through rigorous validation and testing.
- Manage support issues raised by the business through to resolution and within defined support SLAs
- Confidently participate in meetings and manage frequent communications with all levels of the organization including key stakeholders and senior management. Be very resourceful to proactively identify and engage available resources and subject matter experts in related areas to achieve your goals, with a strong ability to multitask and manage time and priorities under pressure while meeting deadlines.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’ s degree or equivalent education required with 3-5 years of work experience in a similar role, preferably in Financial Services
- 3-5 years of quality experience using and demonstrating exceptional proficiency with the following: SQL, Power BI and Power BI Paginated (SSRS) technologies
- Familiarity with Microsoft SSAS cubes and DAX is desired
- A good understanding of the agile development cycle and familiarity with Microsoft Dev-Ops or TFS is a plus
- Strong data analysis skills are required; experience executing small to medium sized projects and a general understanding of Project Management principles is desired
- Self-motivated and able to multi-task with a positive can-do and ‘ no job too small’ attitude
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Results oriented with a high level of personal accountability
- Motivated by a fast paced, complex environment
- Critical Competencies for Success
Our Gold Standards Model defines key behaviors and competencies across 4 dimensions: Leadership, Achieving Results, Personal Effectiveness and Thinking Critically. These behaviors and competencies drive our ability to win together.
Leadership: Role models in this area consistently focus on the right goals and priorities and continually develop themselves and others. Always team players, they influence and engage with others to contribute to a great culture.
Achieving Results: Role models in this area are high achievers who develop careful plans and execute consistently and effectively. They hold themselves and others accountable for delivering high quality results.
Thinking Critically: Role models in this area understand our business, rely on analytical reasoning to define and solve problems and make decisions effectively. They are forward thinking, anticipating issues and addressing them in advance.
Personal Effectiveness: Role models in this area build strong relationships and communicate effectively. They are driven to exceed expectations and adaptable to changing circumstances.
The department-specific competencies define the knowledge, skills and abilities that are needed to successfully perform the functional or technical work of this role.
Technical Support: Triages, troubleshoots and resolves technical support issues. Escalates issues as needed.
Software Development Principals: Utilizes software development, secure programming principles and a knowledge of programming languages to develop, configure and / or integrate new software and applications.
Business Needs Assessment: Identifies business needs across departments within the Firm to understand the challenges, goals and problems that the business needs to solve and identifies appropriate technical solutions.
Data Management and Information Security: Manipulates, restructures and / or queries data for various purposes, including reconciling issues in the database, designing database structures and / or generating reports. Adheres to governance principles and maintains data integrity and security.
Risk Management: Identifies, forecasts and articulates ways to pursue and manage informed risks in ambiguous, complex or uncertain situations based on sound value propositions and an analysis of potential rewards and costs.
Testing: Evaluates the functionality of an application, system or solution to ensure that requirements have been met and defects have been identified. Applies an understanding of end user requirements and usage in the end-to-end system to produce a quality product.
Industry Knowledge: Demonstrates an understanding of the Firm' s position in the industry, including its complex structure and competitive advantage in the marketplace. Monitors industry trends and changes and recognizes their relevancy and implications.
Technical Communication and Documentation: Documents and communicates technical processes and procedures in area of specialty to stakeholders. Adapts the level of detail and specificity based on the needs of the intended audience.
Vendor Management: Manages and coordinates with external vendors. Researches and identifies new vendors as needed and monitors performance.
Relationship Management: Builds and maintains effective partnerships with internal clients and end users by advising on their needs and options, advocating for their business within the Technology Solutions department and managing expectations appropriately.
Project / Program Management: Manages Technology Solutions project elements considering conflicting priorities, interdependencies, business objectives, communications and available resources.
Innovative Mindset: Leverages an agile and creative mindset to drive innovative value creation, continuous process improvement and proactive learning through new technology, processes and people.