Engineering Team Lead
Chicago, IL 60606
The Software Engineering Lead will join the Technology team in a dynamic and growing Alternative Investments firm with a strong technology focus. Technology plays a critical role enabling our team members to make timely, data-driven decisions in support of our clients. The software we build enables our team to deploy $57B in the most efficient, intelligent, risk-managed way.
Software Engineers are the backbone of modernizing our business processes using a forward-thinking technology strategy to extend our platforms and drive our investment decisions. We leverage cloud native technologies to drive the execution of both greenfield projects and projects extending the capabilities of our existing platforms and systems. We are constantly looking for opportunities to leverage new technologies to deliver data across the enterprise to vendors and clients globally. We have a strong and evolving usage of cloud based, serverless, distributed technologies including Azure Functions, SQL Azure, AWS Lambda, non-relational databases, and RPA. We have a DevOps culture with a strong focus on automation, testability, and maintainability. The ideal candidate should enjoy working with optimized development processes in an environment that leverages SRE practices, including continuous integration and continuous delivery.
The Software Engineering Lead is responsible for designing, developing, and implementing solutions in partnership with Product Management, other IT stakeholders, and business partners. This individual will have direct management over a team of software engineers and is expected to lead through example while contributing to solution development.
The individual will be involved in the following critical activities:
- Partner with Product Management and business stakeholders to understand business problems and propose solutions that adhere to enterprise architecture strategy and vision.
- Ensure proposed solutions and associated risks are well understood by all stakeholders.
- Clearly explain solution design to the team and hold Business Analysts accountable to writing high-quality stories that are well understood.
- Be a “ player-coach” you are expected to participate in the software delivery, writing code along with your team. Expect this role to be 60/40 leadership/individual contributorship
- Monitor system alerts, taking ownership of production issues including understanding their root cause and addressing them with a sense of urgency.
- Provide assistance and technical guidance to Business Analysts, Product Managers, Software Engineers, and others to diagnose and resolve defects identified during testing phases.
- Continue to evaluate our technology platform against industry trends and make recommendations, as appropriate.
- Willingness to wear many hats, work with legacy technologies while still driving innovation, fill gaps in team function as needed, and be a dynamic collaborator.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The ideal experience and critical competencies for this role include the following:
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Computer Science, Business or equivalent, relevant work experience.
- 3+ years’ experience with Microsoft .NET/C#, including modern versions of .NET including .NET Core.
- 5+ years of experience demonstrating strong understanding of object oriented design and development principles.
- Previous team lead/engineering management experience required.
- Working knowledge and practice working in Agile development environment with strong engineering principles (XP, SCRUM etc.) required.
- Experience with serverless tools such as Azure Functions or AWS Lambda required.
- Solid Experience with Continuous Integration/Deployment tools such as Azure DevOps, AppVeyor, Jenkins, GitLab CI, GitHub Actions.
- Understanding of relational, non-relational, and unstructured database design and development using platforms such as SQL Azure, Microsoft SQL Server, NoSQL solutions (e.g. MongoDB, Cosmos DB, RavenDB) and other high powered data platforms is required.
- Demonstrated experience with automated unit and acceptance level testing required. Experience working in a TDD environment a strong plus.
- Experience with message based and OpenAPI REST based integration required.
- Experience with DevSecOps and a culture of security a strong plus.
- Experience in financial services and/or investment management a strong plus.
- Ability to adapt within a rapidly changing environment.
- Attention to detail and concern for quality and accuracy of final product.
- Demonstrated team player, self-starter, and independent thinker.
- Outstanding problem solving and decision-making skills.
We are not afraid to think differently. Embrace new ideas. Dream big. Welcome change. We are a culture of empowerment, accountability, high performance, and trust. Successful team members are self-motivated and energized by working alongside thoughtful and smart colleagues in a fast-paced environment. Individuals who thrive on this team enjoy being a part of an organization focused on excellence. We look for naturally collaborative individuals who enjoy interacting at all levels of the organization.
Software Engineering Organization (SEO)
- A modern software engineering group embedded inside of a financial services firm
- Teams follow the Scrum methodology, focusing on test driven development, pair programing, continuous integration, distributed systems and other best practices
- Teams are empowered by management to deliver product requirements through cross functional team ownership
- A strong team culture inside and outside the office
- Adaptive to change and feedback from team members