Software Engineer (Chicago/ New York/ San Francisco)
Chicago OR NYC, IL 60622
* Design, build and maintain scalable, efficient, reusable code for core components of a microservice streaming backend.
* Define and translate business needs and stories into working functional solutions in a timely manner.
* Maintain and improve existing components while optimizing architecture for better performance and responsiveness across stack.
* Communicate across a geographically dispersed team to ensure code reuse and architectural cohesion.
* Mentor junior team members.
* 3+ years professional experience in core server side development in Java. Preference for 5 years plus experience.
* Demonstrated experience independently leading projects from start to finish.
* Experience working successfully with distributed teams.
* Willingness to work across traditional technical role boundaries as needed to support a small startup environment.
* Experience with real-time streaming applications that make use of messaging bus software (Kafka).
* Experience with SQL and/or NoSQL databases and the ability to define relevant data models from scratch.
* Experience with setting up and running scalable, highly available, and disaster recovery compliant services in Amazon Web Services (AWS)
* Experience with docker containerized environments
* Deep understanding of object oriented programming, design patterns, unit testing and modern software design principles.
* Strong knowledge of modern security and performance considerations.
* Solid fundamentals in abstract data structures and algorithms.
* Familiarity working with HTTP and web centric systems.
Nice to Have:
* Previous work building trading or financial platforms a plus, but not necessary
* Interest in cryptocurrencies a plus but not necessary; You will be working with a small team passionate about the space
* Agile methodologies
* Start-up experience
* Knowledge of basic security principles and best practices.
* Experience designing secure software platforms.
* Health, dental and vision insurance
* Stock options
* Flexible vacation time