Principal Software Engineer - Cloud
209 S. LaSalle 8th Floor Chicago, IL 60601
We are seeking a Principal Software Engineer - Cloud to provide technical leadership to evolve our enterprise Venue Virtual Data Room into a set of independently and autonomously scalable and deployable low-latency services in Azure. You will lead teams to design and implement a worldwide distributed system that provides innovative technical solutions to securely store, search and analyze large amounts of data.
What you will do
- Be a hands-on contributor to the design and implementation of our cloud distributed system from the infrastructure layer up to the API.
- Performance testing and engineering to ensure the services consistently scale to meet geographically dispersed requests in smart and cost-effective ways.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for the system and in best practice distributed systems engineering architecture, design, implementation and test.
- Lead cross-functional initiatives and mentor and guide engineering staff in the development of new systems and introduction of new technology.
Required Experience and Skills
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
- Success delivering multiple projects that demonstrate prowess designing, implementing, and operating large scale, high throughput, low latency distributed systems in Azure.
- You can go up and down the stack from deep in the infrastructure layer all the way up to the client libraries.
- Experience leading small teams that move fast - all members are expected to achieve maximum results with minimal direction.
- At least 10 years of software engineering experience across multiple environments on complex distributed polyglot systems using C# / .NET, Java, Scala, and/or C++.
- Kubernetes or Azure AKS experience.
- Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Redis, MongoDB and/or other NoSQL data store experience.
- Cosmos DB and SQL experience.
- Azure Blob storage experience.
- Familiar with ASP.NET MVC (routing, model binding, razor views).
- Object-oriented design (SOLID) principles and design patterns.
- API first design building scalable ReSTful APIs, ideally using an IDL like OpenAPI.
Nice to haves
- Experience designing a cloud-based distributed system that stores, indexes and provides access to large documents (10 MB or greater), with outliers greater than 100 MB, in a consistent and performant way.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Sponsorships are not supported at this time.
- Applications for this position from candidates not located in Chicago will be considered. However, you must be able and willing to re-locate to Chicago.