Chicago, IL 60606
As a performance engineer, you’ ll analyze, optimize, and continuously tune the complete trading environment in order to improve performance of our low latency trading systems on financial exchanges.
You’ ll also:
- Contribute towards the development of our toolset used to measure and improve performance of our trading infrastructure.
- Provide performance ideas, solutions, and recommendations that are both smart and scalable to the business.
- Understand internal and external developments in technology, as well as competitor approaches that can help improve company performance.
- Build our company’ s knowledge base to ensure deep understanding of exchange infrastructure and protocols.
- Work closely with traders and other technology teams (locally and globally) to drive global thinking, information sharing, and sustainable, long-term solutions.
WHAT MAKES IT FUN?
- One of the most fun aspects of the job is that we have a very quick feedback loop. We release early and often to get incremental benefits as they are developed
- We operate at the bleeding edge of technology. If something new can potentially bring an advantage we will actively invest in developing and utilizing the solution
- We really believe in sharing knowledge and technology between the different offices. Much of our technology stack is shared between all 3 regions, and we provide opportunities to travel between the regions both for personal growth and to assist where it has the biggest impact.
- To get the best results we encourage everybody to gain understanding of both the trading strategy and how exchanges work on a technological level.
- Working at our organization is also an opportunity to learn about financial markets. We know from experience that a lot of people really enjoy learning about a field beyond their immediate area of expertise, it’ s one of the things that makes this job more interesting than others.
- We employ a broad range of people with varying backgrounds. What they have in common is their superior technical expertise, their extraordinary smarts and their collaborative approach. We will not accept less.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas
- The ability to work without supervision; a true self starter
- Motivation and ability to conduct undirected research and to challenge ideas
- Ability to see opportunities and to make them happen
- Qualifications in Computer Science, Business Information Systems/Technology. Other degree qualifications will be considered if supported by strong IT components.
- Relevant working experience, either in a similar performance role or other technically demanding, low level technology engineering role.
- Expert level knowledge of Linux with a focus on operating system internals.
- Expert Level understanding of networked systems (TCP/IP, UDP, IP multicast).
- High level of competency with C, C++ and/or Java programming.
- Experience with tuning and monitoring distributed systems
- Expert level troubleshooting skills.
- Bash and Python/Perl fluency
- Strong automation skills with scripting languages