Head of Infrastructure
Chicago, IL 60606
Head of Infrastructure
Our Client is a quantitative asset management firm that strives to develop innovative, high-Sharpe investment products for its clients.
About the Role
We have an exciting opportunity for a leader with hands-on experience in providing world-class, production-level infrastructure to manage and grow our Technical Operations team. In this role, you will join a small team of talented engineers to help architect, implement, and maintain our technical systems, which includes both a global production trading infrastructure as well as back office systems that range from desktops to compute clusters. We offer competitive compensation and excellent benefits. The role is based in our Chicago office.
This role requires strong communication skills, and the ability to deliver in the following key areas:
- Work closely with stakeholders and team members to ensure that our technical infrastructure roadmap will both meet business needs and is built efficiently and in a supportable manner.
- Provide technical guidance and coordination within the team to ensure that our hardware, network, and software systems combine to provide a cohesive architecture.
- Play a hands-on role in day-to-day operations of the team, which ranges from the development and deployment new infrastructure components to triage and support for issues across our global datacenter and network presence.
Required Skills and Experience
- You should have a solid understanding of production networking concepts, applicable within an office environment as well as in and between data centers (e.g. DNS, TCP/IP, NAT, and VPN).
- You should be comfortable with assessing hardware (servers, network gear, etc) needs as well as working directly with that hardware for installation or replacement of parts (e.g. system boards, NICs, RAM, drives, fans, etc).
- Comfortable providing administration to Windows, Mac, and Linux environments, including appropriate architectural understanding of higher level services likes distributed storage.
- Experience writing scripted automation tasks using Bash, Perl or Python and deployment via a scheduling utility.
- Basic understanding of OOP principles and experience coding in a language such as Python.
- Exhibit good software development practices and hygiene.
- Experience deploying and maintaining a DBMS.
- Great organizational, communication and documentation skills.
- Experience acting as a manager or team lead in a IT or related Infrastructure group, preferably with exposure to project planning and/or service ticket administration.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline driven work environment and the ability to drive forward on both individual initiatives as well as the team’ s overall goals.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience in running the network and systems in a financial institution.
- Experience building and maintaining web-based applications for end-users.