BI Data and Analytics Manager
33 W. Monroe St. Chicago, IL 60603
Job Title: BI Data and Analytics Manager
Located: Chicago Loop
Industry: Insurance Startup
Type: Direct Hire, Permanent
Compensation Notes: Eligible
Experience: Data Warehousing, BI, Analytics, Reporting, SQL, Python, Leadership, Architecture
Reports to: VP Product
Reports: 2 Analysts
Our insurtech startup client is hiring a BI Data and Analytics Manager to help grow their analytics and reporting capabilities and infrastructure. They' re building a smarter choice for car insurance and want you to join them on this mission.
This individual will improve data and reporting infrastructure that guides core business decisions and create data-driven solutions for business problems requested from leadership. The ability to distill complex information into accessible graphs and clearly present the information is key for this role.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Own the development, maintenance, and delivery of reporting
- Lead a team of data analysts to handle all reporting requests for the company (and since we’ re a startup, be able to roll up your sleeves and write reports and dashboards yourself)
- Be responsible for the long term career growth and health of your team of data analysts.
- Work closely with data engineers to develop technical requirements to support the Analytics team
- Act as a requirements lead for reporting requirements from different business stakeholders within the company
- Work as a liaison between the analytics and the engineering team to help ensure new features think about analytics impacts at feature inception
- Develop an organization wide incentive strategy to help all employees do their own reporting whenever they can
- Build out and expand upon our current reporting source code management process
- Implement solid QA processes to ensure the reports we deliver to the business are always accurate
- Be infinitely curious about data and build out your own insights through a deep knowledge of the business and data we collect that can be actionable by the product and engineering team.
- Help to use data to tell a story. Reports alone are not enough. You need to build out engaging visuals that drive home insights.
- Oversee and maintain new data sources and data aggregates to help drive the reporting team.
?Prior Experience & Professional Qualities
- You need to be a SQL Ninja. You’ re the go to person whenever anyone has a SQL question and are expected to constantly increase the skill set of your analysts. Generally, this comes with at least 4+ years of experience.
- Have used Python, Ruby, or R when SQL failed you or was needed for a complex report or analysis.
- Direct experience with Postgres or Redshift
- Experience with Periscope is a plus
If you were a BI Data and Analytics Manager with us for the past month, you would have:
- Started your day with some cold brew from our Limitless tap
- Attended weekly prioritization meetings with various stakeholders to prioritize the reporting Kanban backlog
- Led daily standups with your team of Data Analysts
- Been roundly defeated on many occasions by the VP of Product in table tennis
- Designed new ways to organize data in our Redshift Warehouse to help facilitate quicker reporting and insights
- Attended architecture meetings with the Engineering team to provide input on data models for future internal and customer facing features
- Used Periscope Data to build important charts and visualizations to help move the business forward
- Performed code review of your teams work in Github and designed strategies to effectively QA their work.
- Attended architecture meetings with Data Engineers to help define ETL processes needed to support your team
- Began developing a master incentive plan to help the entire organization level up their SQL knowledge
- Enjoyed a beer from our smart fridge while sharing Friday Wins with the entire organization