Application Reliability Engineer
209 S. LaSalle 8th Floor Chicago, IL 60601
Application Reliability Engineer:
o Ideal candidate: Systems Admin with some scripting and IT generalist understanding across systems, networking, application, servers, etc.
o Primary job functions:
- Making sure applications in Shareholder Applications group are up and running; if issues arise - finding solutions for them; proactively monitoring / auditing environment.
- Enhancing monitoring with custom dashboards to have visibility on the right issues / aspects of the environment to proactively seek out issues.
- 2nd tier triage - not answering the phones / dealing with customers - but if things are not working correctly, understanding which application team to notify to fix the issue.
- Proactively assessing recurring issues to propose changes to how the application works.
- Talk with network engineering team intelligently about firewalls, for example, to identify fixes for problems. Will also communicate with developers and service delivery team.
o Tech skills / qualifications:
- Microsoft IIS understanding - dozens of servers; understanding Azure portal and how load balancers are set up.
- Looking for more of a lead / senior resource; have a junior resource onboarded currently; team will likely grow and down the road they expect this person to sync up with DevOps / Site Reliability team(s).
- Someone who could work: smaller environment where they had a range of responsibilities; or it could be someone with some DevOps background.
- Part of the role > automating checks / balances so they can focus people’ s time on project work / other initiatives; some of the monitoring tools may require some scripting for health checks; some amount of scripting could be a great bonus. No preference on language; SQL, PowerShell, UNIX, etc.
- Linux / UNIX is definitely not a requirement, but one of their legacy systems is in AS400 - being familiar enough to log in and check something using a command line script could be useful; Windows is still the primary platform.
- Candidates have been light on networking concepts and little to no scripting / SQL; also - the other person came from a software development background with little to no understanding of networking.
o Solutions are driving a print and fulfillment warehouse - having industry experience could be a plus, but by no means is a requirement. “ Experience with the business usually ends up being helpful in IT.”
o The junior person will split 24x7 support with this person; apps are very rarely used on the weekends; busiest time is 7 AM to 7 PM EDT.