Sr. DevOps Engineer
Position: DevOps Lead
This position will report to the CTO at our firm. You will be a key member of the development team of ten (and growing) primarily remote engineers. We' re looking for somebody to help keep us running at full speed. In the short term, that means cleaning up our infrastructure and helping us scale. Longer term, you will help us decide what our infrastructure and stack should look like.
We' re a team that cares about learning and improving. We live work life balance, but recognize that sometimes work needs to happen outside of business hours. We believe diversity is essential and strongly encourage applications from women and minority candidates.
- Ubuntu Linux hosted on Digital Ocean
- Ruby and Rails and ELM
- Postgresql, Redis and Memcached
- Resque and Qless
- HAProxy, Apache and Passenger
- Chef and TerraForm with a little Nomad
Essential abilities and skills:
- Self-directed. You can work on your own while prioritizing multiple company objectives and problems.
- Deep understanding of databases, preferably Postgres. You can diagnose performance issues and are comfortable with backups and replication.
- Experience with medium to large scale infrastructure automation. We have about 100 servers automated with Chef and Terraform.
- Experience in optimizing performance across the whole stack.
- Ability to make smart tradeoffs between new technologies and stability.
- Strong communication skills. You will proactively communicate issues and trade-offs with team members to support alignment and fast decision making.
Some example projects:
- Research and determine a strategy for automatic job scheduling and balancing to improve job processing throughput.
- Speed up our code deploy process.
- Help determine how we handle data growth and storage in both the short and long term.
- Improve other areas that you believe would benefit the company.
- Decide on a hosting and server provisioning long term architecture.