Sr Data Center Engineer
The successful candidate will build a strong partnership with the entire IT organization to ensure data center strategy and requirements are aligned with our client’ s goals and to orchestrate data center oriented tasks. The candidate is accountable for DCO project objectives in the Dallas location, managing work prioritization as well as working with various teams regarding change and trouble tickets.
What you’ ll do:
• Ownership over vendor relationships - manages relationships with contractors, hardware vendors as well as collocation providers to support datacenter facilities as the business needs dictate.
• Take lead on project planning sessions, execute project tasks, troubleshoot and resolve problems
• Assist in identifying technical problems and conducting technical troubleshooting to resolve issues. Many times with the use of remote contractors
• Monitors data center environments using established tools.
• Manages hardware break\fix of equipment located in a colo.
• Documents, tracks and monitors problems to ensure a timely resolution
• Maintains and creates documentation related to servers, workstations, and other datacenter systems.
• Performs on-site work at remote datacenters as needed (less than 25% travel)
• Responds to telephone calls, email and requests for technical support
• Install pre-terminated multi-mode or single-mode fiber between fiber patch panels, network or storage devices and server.
• Ensure copper and fiber cabling is installed and terminated in a manner that ensures the highest standards both functionally as well as aesthetically.
• Setting up and configuring serial console access (console server) for equipment that requires it.
• Racking and stacking of all equipment within the data center.
• Troubleshoot copper and fiber structured cabling to resolve connectivity issues.
• Installation of internal server components for break/fix.
• Coordinate the arrival of equipment with appropriate staff for receiving and installation.
• Maintain an inventory of frequently used items. Track typical usage patterns and proactively order gear as appropriate.
• Perform capacity planning activities within the Data Center, including floor, space, power, cooling and cable plant.
• Deliver maximum up-time to our customers by ensuring the data center infrastructure is operating as optimally as possible through best practice design related to power, cooling, data cabling, and risk averse change processes.
Skills you’ ll need:
• Must have at least 7+ years of experience working in a highly available data center environment.
• Highly effective in oral and written communication with an ability to communicate with people of varying technical abilities.
• Demonstrates good judgment and confidence to select appropriate approach and take full ownership for end results.
• Must have the ability to adapt to change and work in ambiguous situations, anticipate future requirements, and have the ability to make and communicate decisions.
• Knowledge of common cabling standards for network communications.
• Experience with various media types, including but not limited to single mode and multimode fiber and cat6.
• Ability to read network topology drawings and comprehend basic fundamentals.
• Strong understanding of power and cooling infrastructure.
• Able to meet physical requirements of the job, such as working on ladders, racking heavy servers, running cables, etc.
• Ability to manage cables to an extremely high standard.
• Understanding of network layer design concepts.
• Strong experience with hardware repair of server.
• Understanding of Unix/Linux-based operating systems a plus.
• Availability to work evenings and weekends as required.
• Bachelor' s degree preferred.