Senior Data Developer (Vehicle Data)
Cars.com is a leader in the automotive digital marketplace. Since 1997, we have built our B2B and B2C brand to preeminent status in the industry. While enjoying great stability, we continue to grow. Our workforce has more than doubled since 2006, and our revenue has increased more than 150% in that same time. Our highly engaged workforce enjoys our dedication to work/life balance, wellness and career growth as well as a rich set of employee programs. We’ re big enough to provide abundant resources and small enough for employees to make an immediate impact.
Cars.com is seeking a Senior Data Developer to develop mission critical data applications that power our online user experience and analytics. The Data Developer will be responsible for building and supporting state of the art data ingestion, data extraction, data integration and big data solutions. This role utilizes a strong understanding of data engineering concepts, processes and methodologies in NoSQL, Hadoop and relational data environments.
- Under minimal supervision, define, design, develop, unit test, and support data engineering solutions to meet business requirements.
- Deliver increased productivity and effectiveness through rapid delivery of high-quality applications
- Provide work estimates and communicate status of assignments.
- Mentor members on the team in application architecture, design and development best practice.
- Participate in troubleshooting and resolving data integration issues such as data quality.
- Solid understanding data architecture, structures and principles with the ability to critique data and system designs.
- Strong programming experience building data engineering solutions in: Java, Python or Scala.
- Expertise in SQL programming, relational databases, data modeling and data retrieval methodologies
- Ability to design, create and modify data engineering processes and data pipelines.
- Strong team player with willingness to collaborate
- Experience with source code management systems such as GIT and/or SVN
- Experience with NoSQL and MPP/columnar database technologies
- Experience in Apache Storm, Apache Kafka, Apache Tez or Apache Spark
- Experience with Hadoop platform.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, and very keen attention to detail
- Demonstrated critical soft skills including: active listening and verbal communication skills, flexible and adaptable attitude.
- Ability to work in an agile/lean development environment
- Excellent time management skills
- Bachelor’ s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar field
- 5+ years of experience in a technology organization, including a minimum of 3 years of experience in data engineering.
- 2+ years’ experience developing, implementing, and refining data engineering solutions for large volumes of data.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the following databases/technologies: RDMS, Hadoop, NoSQL (preferably Couchbase)
- Programming experience in Java, Scala or Python.
- Ability to code within large scale data projects and work effectively in a cross-functional team.