The Infrastructure and Operations Department Network Engineer will design and perform technical activities within the Infrastructure and Operations Department with the focus on networking technologies. He / She will apply business acumen to all components of architecting, planning, operations, maintenance, and network level processes – with the upmost importance given to low latency / high-availability solutions. The Network Engineer will also participate in enterprise projects leveraging Juniper or Cisco network technologies, CentOS Linux systems, proprietary software, open-source technologies, and industry standard FIX / messaging technologies and architectures within the Equity and Options Trading environment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assists with the building, configuring, managing, and updating of the network environment for our Trading, Order Routing and Market Data Systems (based on Linux server technologies – CentOS v7.X and REHL v7).
- Paramount focus on low-latency and high-availability solutions / implementations.
- Performs level 2 / level 3 network and systems and enterprise infrastructure related support and troubleshooting.
- Communicates regularly or as needed to internal customers / groups on progress of work products, deliverables and overall project status .
- Assists in the establishment and enforcement of hardware / software standards for the Department and DFT environment.
- Works with the engineering team on creating reliable, efficient, secure, and effective system architectures.
- Analyzes and participates in reviews of technology requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Consults with hardware engineers and other engineering staff to evaluate, interface between hardware and software, and operational and performance requirements of overall system.
- Participates in the formulation and design of hardware / software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Proficient in routing / switching network operating technologies such as: Juniper JunOS, and Cisco CatOS / IOS.
- Hands-on experience with Juniper VCF, VCP, and other enterprise / data center network solutions is a must.
- Experience with WAN / MAN solutions: MPLS/MP-BGP, MPVN, VRFs, 10Gb, and MetroE connections.
- Experience with advanced network routing protocols: eBGP / iBGP, OSPF, route injections, ACLs, and NATs / PATs.
- Experienced with layer 2 network configurations and implementations: advanced vLAN configurations, trunking, HA host configs.
- Experience with other network and systems protocols: PTP, NTP, HA-Proxy, NIS and DNS / BIND.
- Experience with Remote User / Office solutions: P2P IPSec tunnels, Pulse Secure, or other enterprise multi-factor VPN appliances.
- Experience with system utilities, metric collection tools, monitoring applications, and net protocols such as: Cacti, SmokePING, Icinga / Icinga2 (or other Nagios forks), WireShark Packet Sniffers (or other host-based and spanning port sniffers), and SNMP protocol.
- Proficient in using Linux operating systems.
- Must possess automation / scripting skills: Python, MS WMI, and Batch, or Bash.
- Solid understanding of multicast and other pub/sub based protocols, transmissions, and troubleshooting techniques.
- Solid understanding of FIX protocol, transmissions, and troubleshooting techniques (or other middle-tier / messaging protocols).
- Solid understanding of 3rd party / exchange multicast routing of market data.
- Application and Event log monitoring and data center operational understanding.
- Thorough understanding of TCP/IP fundamentals, system technologies and enterprise architecture troubleshooting.
- Fundamental understanding of server systems design, cluster management, troubleshooting, and hardware replacement.
- Familiarity with multi-tiered, highly available web applications in hosted data center environment.
- Internet e-commerce or trading industry background a must.
- Skilled in troubleshooting in high pressure, production environments.
- Good understanding of trading systems and environments, specifically low-latency equity, options, futures trading.
- 5+ years of information technology experience preferred.
- Experience working with large enterprise application environments (Linux based) preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work independently and be an effective contributor in a diversified team.
- Ability to influence and work effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Must work well within a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to analyze and interpret large amounts of data efficiently.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks.
- Ability to prioritize and organize effectively, attention to detail.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Standard days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9: 00 a.m. to 6: 00 p.m.
This position will require travel to regional offices. Travel can be up to 25%.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’ s degree in communication, business administration, information technology, or another related field.
- 5-7 years of experience in an IT or Network Engineering role.