Manager, Data Integration
Cars.com is a leader in the automotive digital marketplace. Since 1997, we have built our B2B and B2C brand to preeminent status in the industry. While enjoying great stability, we continue to grow. Our workforce has more than doubled since 2006, and our revenue has increased more than 150% in that same time. Our highly engaged workforce enjoys our dedication to work/life balance, wellness and career growth as well as a rich set of employee programs. We’ re big enough to provide abundant resources and small enough for employees to make an immediate impact.
Cars.com is seeking a seasoned data manager to provide the vision and leadership to implement Cars.com business analytics and data warehouse strategies. The incumbent must have hands-on experience with the entire data warehouse lifecycle as well as experience managing and growing the capabilities of team members. The individual will lead a team of technical resources in building out data solutions that power our applications and analytics. Candidates should possess strong analytical thinking skills and back-end solution experience.
- Effectively manage a team of approximately 10 - 15 data developers in day to day development tasks including: design reviews, adherence to coding standards, data modeling, ETL development, data analysis, and system integration recommendations.
- Contribute to appropriate communities of practice (a group of similarly skilled developers) to promote, develop, and mature existing and innovative ways to solve technical problems and improve the product development process.
- Coach, guide, and mentor developers working on product teams through direct conversation and engagement with their communities of practice to continually challenge and raise the bar for excellence in software development and leadership.
- Foster innovation in all projects – create a positive working environment that supports and drives innovation.
- Establish partnerships with key technology teams across the company to leverage existing technologies and processes, as well as evangelize best practices.
- Employ agile product development methodologies that accommodate changing business conditions and reduce time to market of solutions. Establish engineering standards and discipline within the team.
- Contribute to key decisions regarding data architecture, data tool design, and project sizing.
- Review designs of the product functionalities and features created by the team, and make recommendations to improve efficiency of the product.
- Establish career development plans and company focused quarterly goals for resources to help them expand their skillset and contributions to the company.
- Partner with DBA, operations and system engineering team to monitor performance of data platforms and ensure optimal utilization of the Data Platform investments
- Help troubleshoot and guide developers when facing technical roadblocks or obstacles in their development tasks.
- Mentor and influence others through example.
- Demonstrate excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to learn and understand business processes and relationship of systems and applications used to accomplish those processes
- Ability to self-motivate, set goals, prioritizes and meet deadlines.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with key business partners by building personal credibility and trust.
- Ability to partner with internal and external peer groups to design and implement solutions.
- Maintain courteous and professional working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to manage technical team members reporting into multiple product focused initiatives.
- Excellent active listening and verbal communication skills, strong business writing ability, flexible and adaptable attitude, can conform to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines, ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including other divisions, and ability to discuss technical issues to non-technical audience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Strategic thinker with ability to understand business strategy, provide consultative business analysis, and leverage technical skills to create insightful, effective BI solution
- Proven ability to meet tight deadlines, multi-task, and prioritize workload
- A work ethic based on a strong desire to exceed expectations.
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams and communicate with colleagues in both business and technical roles
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple highly valued projects simultaneously and drive them to completion
- Bachelor' s degree or combination of relevant education and experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work with diverse personality types
- Proven ability to work independently with limited supervision and with other department personnel
- Must have solid verbal and written communication, organization, and time management skills
- Must be " self-motivated" as well as creative and efficient in proposing solutions to complex, time-critical problems
- 5+ years of experience in leading data warehouse/data integration teams.
- 5+ years’ experience working with Teradata, Hadoop, Oracle or other database platform
- 3+ years of experience with ETL development (DataStage experience preferred but not required)
- Experience working in an Agile environment strongly preferred
- Experience in NoSQL databases such as Couchbase preferred
- Experience working with Cloud infrastructure preferred