Director, Mobile Development
Cars.com is a leader in the automotive digital marketplace. Since 1997, we have built our B2B and B2C brand to preeminent status in the industry. While enjoying great stability, we continue to grow. Our workforce has more than doubled since 2006, and our revenue has increased more than 150% in that same time. Our highly engaged workforce enjoys our dedication to work/life balance, wellness and career growth as well as a rich set of employee programs. We’ re big enough to provide abundant resources and small enough for employees to make an immediate impact.
Cars.com is seeking a Director of Mobile Apps to provide inspiring leadership, technical vision and oversight to the engineering teams responsible for the Mobile Apps team. This position includes opportunities to work with state-of-the-art mobile technologies and large-scale infrastructure, in addition to looking at experiences beyond traditional web to new channels of consumer engagement.
The Director in Technology is a key leadership role within Cars.com and will be accountable for developing team members, maintaining a terrific culture and ensuring high levels of engagement.
The Mobile Apps teams you will manage will be responsible for identifying, developing, and supporting Cars.com’ s mobile presence, including Android and iOS applications. The ideal candidate has experience designing and building native apps for Android and iOS, experience working with new technologies and conventions such as Swift and Android, and a deep knowledge of the mobile market and how to promote our mobile capabilities to build great products for car shoppers.
- Have hands on knowledge and understanding of modern software development practices (Lean, Agile Scrum, TDD, CI/CD, Mobile Architecture) as well as an appreciation for servant-leadership models.
- Lead a group of mobile developers focused on delivering high quality solutions as we continue to advance our organization, delivering superior experiences to our customers.
- Build out the mobile apps platform to allow us to quickly iterate and scale mobile app development with standards, automation, monitoring and rapid testing
- Learn & Stay current on Mobile Apps developments, new opportunities and challenges (which may include IoT)
- Contribute to application development as a domain expert when necessary, leading by example and setting a high development standard
- Contribute to appropriate communities of practice to promote, develop, and mature existing and innovative ways to solve technical problems and improve the product development process
- Act as a subject matter expert in Mobile and beyond traditional web channels and bring innovative strategies and ideas to the business.
- A seasoned leader who has built and motivated teams in non-hierarchical settings, he/she will have demonstrated hands-on leadership style with exceptional influencing skills.
- You will set clear expectations, motivate, provide coaching & mentorship to multiple software engineering teams.
- Being a leader you will not only guide your team(s), but help shape the organization, providing guidance to business and technical leadership at multiple different levels of the organization.
- Thought leadership and the ability to present technical solutions with the appropriate business context is key.
- Effectively coordinate communications between/among cross-functional teams, resolve conflict, and maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrate expert level skills in collaboration with different stakeholders, Influences decisions, ability to take strategic view
- Strong hands on and relevant/active engagement with the following: Swift, Android SDK, Objective-C, REST APIs, test automation tools for mobile development
- Hands-on exposure with Agile/Lean and test & behavior driven development, pair programming, CI/CD, and version control (Git)
- Strong understanding of technology design patterns and approaches including micro-services concepts, continuous integration and delivery, and Mobile development
- Passion and knowledge of building products accessible to everyone, regardless of the platform
- A track record of managing innovation, developing and applying creative solutions to business problems, anticipating situations and needs, and finding flexible answers to new situations.
- Persistent yet flexible; pragmatic; capable of dealing with ambiguity and uncertainty while remaining focused on results and speed.
- A strong connection to IT social groups and networking groups is a big plus
- Strong problem solving abilities and capable of interfacing with both engineers and business stakeholders
- Communication skills for motivating, persuading and challenging business objectives to drive high performance solutions meeting customer needs
- Must be a strong team leader and have good interpersonal skills that can foster, demonstrate, and promote excellence in a team environment
- Reliable, self-motivated, and focused on high quality delivery of work products and willing to accept responsibility and accountability
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- At least 10+ years of software development experience
- At least 2-3 years of iOS development experience (Objective-C and Swift)
- At least 1-2 years of Android development experience
- At least 5 years of experience managing teams of 5+ direct reports
- Strong experience working in an Agile and/or Lean environment