Big Data Developer
Cars.com is seeking a Hadoop / Big Data developer that excels at delivering efficient and well-designed solutions. As a big data developer, you will help guide and support the team across projects to design, implement and run the best big data solutions. You will work directly with our business partners to understand their needs, develop plans to meet their needs and apply the right technologies to solve their problems in addition to providing technology insight and expertise on industry trends.
The ideal candidate will be able to:
- Build data systems and data pipelines that extract, classify, merge, and deliver new insights using Java, Storm, Spark, Java, SQL, Pig, Hive, Impala, etc.
- Design and implement high performance, large volume data integration processes and other back-end services/solutions that are automated and maintainable from deployment to production.
- Create and maintain data flow diagrams, entity relationship diagrams, system diagrams, business and logical systems integration as it pertains to Analytics/Business Intelligence and big data systems.
- Implement security, encryption best practices for big data environments.
- Find and implement solutions to integrate event-based, semi-structured and 3rd party data sources (e.g. E-commerce transaction data) with enterprise relational models and strategies for transactional and analytical systems to effectively share data.
- Collaborate with our Enterprise Architecture team to ensure that the defined architectures align with other architecture domains (e.g. infrastructure, EDW, security, etc).
- Learn and apply new technologies and frameworks; develop and implement advanced algorithms.
- Mentor members on the team in application architecture, design and development best practice.
- Three years of software development experience scaling applications on big data platforms
- Demonstrated experience translating business and technical requirements into comprehensive data reporting strategies and analytic solutions.
- Experience in Java programming and big data background (Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Storm, Mahout, Lucene, MongoDB etc.) as well as familiarity with at least one scripting language such as Ruby or Python
- Experience with source code management systems such as GIT and/or SVN
- Bonus experience with NoSQL and MPP/columnar database technologies
- Bonus for experience working with Concurrent’ s Driven Platform
- Bonus for experience in Apache Storm, Apache Tez or Apache Spark
- Bonus for experience with cloud and platform services, including self-provisioning, dynamic resource allocation.
- Bonus for experience with automatic data validation and testing tools/procedures on a big data environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as leadership and management abilities
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field/equivalent experience
- 3+ years of IT experience, 2 years focused in areas of Big Data development and operation.
- 2+ years’ experience on a Hadoop distribution (Cloudera preferred).
- 2+ years’ experience developing, implementing, and refining data engineering solutions for large volumes of data.
- 2+ Experience with Hadoop ecosystem frameworks such as: MapReduce, Hive, Yarn, HBase, Pig Latin, Storm, Kafka, Flume HCatalog, Spark, Oozie, Zookeeper, Java and others.
- Experience with one or more of Hadoop-capable BI tools such as Datameer, Platfora, Splunk/Hunk or similar.
- Ability to code within large scale, long-term data projects and work effectively in a cross-functional team.