Cars.com is a leader in the automotive digital marketplace. Since 1997, we have built our B2B and B2C brand to preeminent status in the industry. While enjoying great stability, we continue to grow. Our workforce has more than doubled since 2006, and our revenue has increased more than 150% in that same time. Our highly engaged workforce enjoys our dedication to work/life balance, wellness and career growth as well as a rich set of employee programs. We’ re big enough to provide abundant resources and small enough for employees to make an immediate impact.
Working within a dynamic and fast paced team environment, the application developer is responsible for the design, construction, and maintenance of mission-critical, highly visible applications in direct support of Cars.com business objectives. The ideal candidate must be able to provide development expertise within his/her portfolio of products and be the point of contact for specific applications. Furthermore, this person is responsible for working with the leads to develop the technical design by fully understanding the technical details, integration, and functions of multiple applications across their development team.
The ideal candidate will be able to:
- Participate in design sessions with IT Architecture and Development Leads.
- Work with a team of peers to design and implement products in support of strategic business and IT initiatives.
- Participate in peer review sessions throughout design and development phases for multiple projects at any given time.
- Participate with documents design, deliverables, source, and release notes in the interest of supporting future development and operations staff.
- Assist Quality Assurance engineers in issue identification, isolation, and remediation issues during formal QA cycles.
- Continuously improve, refine, and refactor software.
- Participate in the resolution of challenging and demanding problems across a number of technical topographies.
- Verify that non-production environments accurate and functional.
- Participates in requirement reviews, actively working to uncover and resolve ambiguous and invalid requirements.
- Identify and implement improvements to internal team processes or to supported business' s processes, products, or services.
- Team-oriented individual with strong communications skills (both oral and written).
- Understands, articulates, and conforms to core OOP principles.
- Understands, utilizes, and leverages core Java architecture and has experience in open source project development using Java, Spring, Hibernate, MVC (Struts).
- Excellent problem solving skills and troubleshooting skills. Must be able to quickly assess problems and determine proper steps to resolution.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. Ability to work well with a wide variety of people with varying technical skill sets and business knowledge is required.
- Willingness to develop domain expertise.
- College Degree in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems (related/commensurate experience acceptable).
- 3-4 years of web-based development experience in enterprise-scale J2EE design and implementation.
- Comfortable offering input across requirements phases and distilling the product into fine-grained deliverables.
- Experience with web services (WSDL, SOAP, REST, etc.) is a plus.
- Experience working within/constructing service oriented architectures (SOA) is preferred.